- A lossless method of packing a file into a smaller space.
- The file will need to be unpacked before using.
- Also useful for collecting multiple files into one package for transfer.
- Examples include zip, rar, tar, gz.
- A method of reducing the size of a file by removing statistical redundancies.
- When the file is decompressed, the result should be identical to the original.
- The file is decompressed by the decoder in real-time for consumption.
- Examples include flac, alac.
- A method of reducing the size of a file by removing irrelevant information.
- The information is gone forever.
- Irrelevancy of information is determined by the codec used.
- The codec determines irrelevant information based on psychovisual or psychoacoustic models.
- Benefits include reduced disk space and bandwidth use.
- Examples include jpeg, mp3.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Data compression is a method of reducing the file size for conserving drive space or easier transfer. Data compression comes in three forms: